One of the most annoying things in computing is having files that cannot be used by applications on your computer. If this happens to you, then you know how frustrating it can be.
This is apparently the case with the new HEIF file format. Newer iPhones and iPads currently take pictures in HEIF (High-Efficiency Image Format) and save images with an HEIC extension. This format, with all its advantages, isn’t native to Windows, but you can quite easily convert HEIC files to JPG using Windows’ standard tools, like Photos and Paint (as well as myriad third-party apps).
With its ability to occupy very little storage space, it seems like an extension for the long run. If you hit a brick wall viewing HEIC files on Windows, try some of these ways to convert HEIC to JPG.
Opening HEIC In Windows
High Efficiency Image File Format (saved as HEIC) is a specific file format that is proprietary to iOS devices. Your Windows device can open these files – you just need to download the correct extension package first.
As long as you have Windows 10 or Windows 11, you have the option of simply opening HEIC files on your computer without converting them to JPEG. In fact, you can do this through the Windows Photos App – you just need to download the file extension package from the Microsoft Store first.
Alternatively, Adobe Lightroom and several other photo-editing apps will allow you to open HEIC files and edit them without first converting to JPEG.
1. Photos App
The Windows Photos app has its problems, but it’s also surprisingly compatible with less conventional image formats. HEIC is one of them, and you can easily open HEIC images using the native Windows 10 and Windows 11 app, then convert them to various formats, including jpg. If your HEIC file doesn’t automatically open with Photos, follow the steps below to convert using the Photos app.
- Right click on the file, then choose “Open with -> Photos.”
- Once the file is open, navigate to “File -> Save As.”
- In the drop-down menu for File Type, select “.jpg.”
- Click “Save.”
Trusty old Paint, which you can get from the Microsoft Store or restore with a registry tweak, continues to surprise with its capabilities. You can open and edit HEIC files directly through Paint, as well as save them in different file formats. To convert your file in paint, proceed with the steps below.
- Open the HEIC file in Paint. (You can right click the image and select “Open With -> Paint.”)
- Go to “File -> Save As.”
- Select “JPEG picture” to save as a JPEG.
3. HEICtoJPEG Web App
If you don’t have too many images you want to convert (up to 50 at a time), then the simplest option is to go to HEICtoJPG and do it all through your browser. Follow these steps to use HEICtoJPB.
- Go to and drag and drop any HEIC files you want to convert into the box.
- Once the file finishes converting, click “Download JPEG” to download the file to your computer.
4. HEIC Converter Free
HEIC Converter Free is a free program that helps you convert HEIC pictures to JPG on Windows. This program allows you to select the picture quality before conversion. You can also choose to preserve or remove Exif data during conversion. A final feature of HEIC Converter Free is its support for batch resizing. To use this program, follow the instructions below.
- Download HEIC Converter Free and install the program.
- Open the program and select the files you want to convert.
- Make the appropriate choices for file size, then click “Convert.” When that completes, you can access the file under “My Documents.”
5. iMazing HEIC Converter
This is an easy-to-use, ad-free and simplistic tool. iMazing HEIC Converter makes converting HEICs to the JPG format fun. Furthermore, this program permits conversion into both JPG and PNG formats. Follow the instructions below to convert HEIC to JPEG in Windows.
- Install and open the program.
- Drag and drop the files you want to convert.
- Make your selections regarding file format (JPEG or PNG), then press “Convert.”
- You’ll be prompted to select where you want your file saved. Make your selection the press “OK.”
- View your new file, convert more files, or close the program.
6. iOS “Automatic” Transfer Mode
Compatibility issues with HEIC is a problem – but not one that eludes Apple. Unlike third-party apps, this is a built-in iOS setting. It permits automatic conversions while files are being transferred to Windows 10 or 11 via USB.
When you import images with the Photos app and this setting, files will be automatically conversion to JPG. This method is totally seamless.
7. CopyTrans HEIC for Windows
The free app CopyTrans was developed to aid Windows users to be able to use HEIC images on Windows 7 and Windows 8. These two OS obviously do not have HEIC support. CopyTrans HEIC can, however, convert HEIC to JPG. Furthermore, CopyTrans HEIC can act as a plugin for Windows 10 and 11 users. This allows you to open HEIC files using the Windows Photo Viewer. To convert HEIC images to JPEG, follow these steps.
- Install CopyTrans, then locate the HEIC file on your computer.
- Right-click on it and select “Convert to JPEG with CopyTrans.”
8. iMobie HEIC Converter
iMobie HEIC converter is another platform that allows you to convert HEIC files to JPG in Windows. It is available for free online or as a desktop app. Just upload the HEIC file to the platform, and it will convert it to JPG, then re-download it in the new format.
It retains the quality of the image file even after conversion. The online platform as well as the desktop app are easy to use, and you can get your conversions done in a matter of seconds.
Many free photo-editing apps, such as GIMP, open and convert HEIC files. If you already use GIMP on a semi-regular basis, then it’s probably easiest to fire it up and follow the steps below to convert your files.
- Open the HEIC file(s) you want to convert.
- Navigate to “File -> Export As.”
- In the “Select File Type (by Extension)” drop-down at the bottom, select “JPG.”
- Name the file and select where you want to save it, then press “Exort” to save the file.
Depending on the situation, you may want a tool that allows you to convert multiple file types, not just HEIC files. In that case, CloudConvert is a great option. The easy drag-and-drop converter lets you select the file type you have and what kind you’d like it to convert to. Make any size adjustments you’d like, and let the converter do its work.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I still open HEIC files if I have Windows 7 or 8?
Unfortunately, versions of Windows prior to Windows 10 do not include direct support for the HEIC file extension. However, you can use many of the above-mentioned methods to convert your HEIC files to JPEG so that you can open or edit them in Windows.
Are there any disadvantages to converting my HEIC files to JPG?
HEIC files are, in general, higher quality and require less storage space. Therefore, the largest disadvantage to converting them is the loss in quality.
Do I need to convert JPG files to HEIC to open them on my iPhone?
No, iPhones can still read JPG files even though they don’t natively store your photos in that format. No additional conversions are required to open JPG files or use them as a lock screen.
Image credit: Pexels All screenshots by Megan Glosson
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox